You have a beautiful dress, but you haven’t found the right bra, underwear, corset, etc. to wear with it. Customers always ask me where you buy the right undergarment for your bridal or evening dress? It’s an important piece to the overall ensemble and one that shouldn’t be discounted. I was recently in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and stumbled across a quaint shop called Vicanie’s. If you want a proper bra fitting, it’s a great shop to visit. Vicanie’s has been in business for 15 years. Their main goal has been to help customers feel comfortable and confident with their unique bodies. And, you don’t have to worry about finding the right size for your undergarments at Vicanie’s. They carry a large range of sizes, starting from AA-O cups and 28-56 for the bands.
The best advice when it comes to shopping for undergarments for your bridal or evening dress is to plan ahead! There are several different options to consider when looking for the perfect garment to wear under your dress.
Bustiers: These provide great support, especially under heavily beaded dresses. They make your waist look smaller and provide a sleek silhouette, smoothing and flattening the midriff area. Bustiers are especially useful for backless dresses.
Strapless Bras: Strapless bras can also offer support and are generally less expensive than bustiers. If you have your heart set on a strapless dress, you should purchase your undergarment first. This will help in the dress selection, especially if you have a fuller bust- line.
Corset: A corset does a great job of accentuating your figure. It shows off your curves while providing support to the spine and stomach. And, it tends to slim the waist and accentuate the hip and bust area.
Spanx: Spanx is shapewear that is great for overall smoothing. It can include shaper shorts, tights, slips etc. Spanx helps control your problem areas and slims your silhouette. It is designed to be lightweight so that it doesn’t show under your garment.
If you’re not sure what you want in terms of undergarments for your bridal or evening dress, not to worry. The lovely ladies at Vicanie’s can help you find what you need. They will do a fitting to make sure you find the correct size for your undergarments. Try to purchase your dress well in advance of your first undergarment fitting. If possible, take the dress with you to the store. If you haven’t purchased your gown yet, you can take a picture or a marking of the dress with you to provide some guidance. This can be especially helpful when you’re trying on the strapless bras and bustiers.
If Vicanie’s doesn’t have what you need in the store, they may be able to order it in for you. Fit is very important for Vicanie’s. After your bra is purchased, if there are fit issues, the bra can be returned or exchanged.
Finally, Vicane’s also offers in-store after hour bridal shower events. It’s a fun night for the bride to try a few things she might like for her special night and enjoy the company of the girls from her bridal party.
Check out their website for more details!
When you’re looking for that special occasion dress, sometimes it can be difficult to find colours that flatter you, but there are a few guidelines that you can follow based on your skin tone to help with your selection process:
Light or fair skin tones: Women with lighter skin tones either have warm, rosy/peachy undertones or cooler undertones.
- Rosy/peachy undertones: Women with this skin colour tend to have chestnut, blond (strawberry/golden blond) or red coloured hair. With these warm rosy/peachy tones, brown shades and greens look amazing. A neutral colour like ivory or even darker shades such as grey or navy, lighter reds (rose red, red pink) and light oranges (peach, apricot, etc.) will complement this skin tone as well. Dress colours to avoid include neons or harsh shades, such as black or white. Black is too dark a colour and white will look too pale with this skin tone.
- Fair skin and cooler undertones: Tend to have more white or pale skin and black, brown, or ash blond hair. If you’re looking for the right dress colour for your special occasion dress, veer towards the rich colours such as jewel tones and deep reds/strawberry reds – these shades will really pop with fair skin and cooler undertones. Shades to avoid include bright colours or very light colours.
Dark skin tones: Warm colours tend to look good on darker skin tones, such as pastels (light pink, baby blue, periwinkle, mint green, lavender), yellows, blues, and purples. Rich, bright colours like oranges and reds are also a great option. If you’re in the mood to wear neutrals, white looks amazing on dark skin tones. Cooler colours such as blacks, greys, and silvers should be avoided as these tend to be too harsh with this skin tone.
Medium skin tones: Sometimes referred to as an olive/yellowish complexion, this skin tone tends to neutral, which looks good with virtually any colour. Women with medium skin tones look great in jewel tones such as sapphire blue, dark purple, emerald green, and ruby red. These shades work to really brighten the complexion. Due to the brownish undertone of this skin colour, oranges, and yellows really bring out a nice glow in this skin tone. Pinks and turquoises are also a great option. Colours that should be avoided include browns, caramels, beiges and pale pastels. These shades bring out grey undertones instead of brightening the complexion.
When looking for that special occasion dress, look for those colours that complement your skin tone to make you shine at your event!
It’s time to plan your bachelorette party and you don’t quite know what to do. Should you have a house party, a low-key dinner, go dancing, or maybe do an overnight trip somewhere? A bachelorette party can be celebrated in many ways. It just really depends on what kind of party you want for a night out with your gals. If you’re looking for a nice, relaxing option to just get away for a weekend and unwind a bit, I recommend an overnight spa outside of the city. Ste. Anne’s Spa is the perfect place if you’re a Torontonian who wants to stay close to home but still wants to feel like you’re in the country. Rent a cottage with your friends and get the bachelorette party started! The service is great – they’ll even plan your whole visit for you based on what you’re looking to do while you are there.
There is something for everyone at Ste. Anne’s:
Food: If you’re looking to indulge in some healthy, but delicious meals for a couple of days, you don’t have anything to worry about at this place. There are many different options for food – they can accommodate gluten-free, non-dairy or vegan diets.
There’s something for everyone here. And, if you like high tea, you’re in for a treat. They have some great mini sandwiches, scones and mini desserts for an afternoon snack. Although they don’t serve alcohol at the spa, you can always bring a bottle of wine with you for your meals (or even in your cottage).
Relaxation: There’s no better feeling than being pampered and hanging out in your robe all day. Enjoy many of the spa services available at Ste. Anne’s. Whether it’s a facial, a massage or an exfoliating wrap, just relax and enjoy yourself. You’ll have free access to the facilities, which includes Eucalyptus steam room, a fieldstone grotto, quite rooms, lounge areas, and beautiful gardens. You can also take some meditation classes if you want to relax your mind. I’m sure they won’t mind if you fall asleep.
Physical Activity: If you want to do some exercise while you are there, there are plenty of options. You can do circuit training with a personal trainer at the gym, take yoga classes, or go for a hike.
They have a beautiful pool too where you can lounge or take a dip. And, if you’re a horse lover, you can groom the horses as well.
The accommodations are beautiful, especially the spa cottages. If you’re looking for rustic and cozy, look no further! You can play board games, do puzzles or have your own facial party in the evenings. After a weekend at Ste. Anne’s, you’ll go home refreshed and happy! And what better way to spend time with your friends!
Check it out when you get a chance!
- Posted in : Bachelorette
Jewelry is the final touch to the perfect outfit. Whether you’re attending a wedding, an anniversary party or a bat mitzvah, jewelry is one element that women always look for to complement what they are wearing. But, what kind of bling should you wear to your special occasion? It really depends on your style, what you’re wearing and what look you’re going for. Here are a few accessory suggestions to consider based on different necklines for your evening wear:
Plunging V-neckline: Depending on how deep the “plunge” is, you could go for a longer, lariat type necklace, which will accentuate your cleavage. Another option is to wear long, dangly earrings, without a necklace.
Halter: Put on a striking pair of earrings and a matching bracelet with this type of dress. Halter necklines go around the neck and don’t generally allow for a necklace, but the right earrings and bracelet will round out your look!
Off the shoulder: A beautiful choker or a multi-strand chunky necklace and bracelet would really accentuate your collar bone with an off the shoulder dress. With this type of dress, the focal point is your shoulders and “showing some skin” and you’ll want to make sure the jewelry you wear is more subtle.
Strapless: Long, dramatic earrings, or a choker type necklace would fit nicely with a strapless cocktail dress or a gown. Again, with a strapless dress, the focus is meant to be on your neck and shoulders and the piece of jewelry you choose should complement your dress, not overpower it.
Sweetheart: A beautiful delicate V-shaped necklace or a small charm necklace would look great with a sweetheart dress. It will accentuate the neckline without drawing too much attention to the jewelry.
One Shoulder: Wear bold, mid-sized earrings and a bracelet or a ring with this look. Sometimes jewelry can catch on certain types of fabrics, so make sure the ring/bracelet you choose doesn’t cause any damage to your dress!
Illusion: An illusion neckline tends to be a round neckline and generally doesn’t allow for much space for a necklace. Go for a bracelet and beautiful earrings with this look.
- Posted in : Accessories
You have an event to go to and you can’t find anything to wear. The evening wear styles aren’t what you’re looking for, the dresses you like don’t fit properly or don’t look the way you thought it would, and you can’t find your size. If you’re a woman, you know exactly how this feels. Shopping for evening wear can be frustrating and depressing, but it doesn’t have to be that way. You shouldn’t have to settle for something you don’t really want because you don’t think you can find something else or there aren’t any better options. This is the main reason why many women decide to go the custom evening wear design route. The process may differ based on the designer but if you’re looking for an original TALINE evening gown from Taline Designs, the process is simple:
- Meet with the Taline, the designer to discuss your preferences. Provide as much information as possible so that you are truly satisfied with the final product. These are just a few of the questions that you will need to go through when you speak to Taline for the first time:
- Dress type: Are you looking for a cocktail dress, an evening gown, a suit, etc.?
- Style preferences: What kind of dress are you looking for? Do you like long sleeves or short sleeves? Do you like simple, elegant cuts or are you looking for something sexier?
- Silhouette: A-line, mermaid, empire cut – what type of silhouette do you prefer?
- Colour: Do you know what colour you want to wear to your special function?
- Timing: How soon will you need your custom evening wear?
- Fabric: Do you have a preference for the type of fabric used?
- Review sketches that the designer has prepared based on your preferences
- Once you choose the style that you like, the pattern of the evening wear is created
- Several fittings are done to ensure proper fit
- The final touches on the evening wear are completed
It’s as simple as that! And the result is beautiful evening wear, just the way you imagined it. If this is what you’re looking for, make an appointment with the designer and we will get started!
- Posted in : Custom Evening Wear
They say that shoes make an outfit, and I completely agree. No matter what you wear, whether it is an evening gown, a bridal gown, or a pair of jeans, the right pair of shoes can really make your garment pop. One of the key elements that I look for when I’m shoe shopping is the “wow factor.” When I say “wow factor,” I don’t necessarily mean they have to be blingy (although I do like bling on my shoes), but they do have to catch my eye and have something unique that makes them stand out.
The latest pair of shoes that caught my eye was during my recent travels. I was in an artsy part of London, England called Camden market. It’s a market with lot of retailers, and a great vibe. As I was strolling through the market, I came across KoKo Art, talented designers that customize runners/sneakers (among other things). They had several runners on display, all of them with interesting designs, hand-painted by the lovely artists on-site. Of course, I wanted to get a unique pair for myself and I loved the idea of customizing my sneakers. The process was simple:
1) Choose the type of sneakers that you wanted (you could select one of three different options)
2) Select the size
3) Choose the design.
There were several binders full of different designs that you could choose from, and if you wanted something completely different, all you had to do was ask. One of my friends wanted to take a pair home for her kids but was looking for something Disney related. If the artists weren’t familiar with a character, they were still able to design something amazing by just glancing at a picture of the cartoon. The result was an adorable set of mini runners, which is sure to be the envy of any child. The cost of the shoes depends on what size you order and the artists at KoKo Art can hand-paint the shoes in an hour, unless they have a backlog of orders. If you’re in London, it’s worth a look!
What would you choose to put on your runners if you could customize them?
- Posted in : Shoes
An engagement party or a wedding shower are two events along with your wedding day that may need planning. There are a lot of different options available in Toronto where you can have a great party, but what’s the perfect spot for you? When I look for venues for events, I always look for two key things: great food and amazing ambiance. If you’re looking for an amazing venue uptown, one of my favourite Italian restaurants for a cozy event is Fiamma Restaurant in Woodbridge.
You definitely don’t need to worry about the quality of food at Fiamma restaurant. The meals are so delicious and flavourful. From the appetizers to the main course, to the mouth-watering dessert, I was not disappointed at all. One of my absolute favourite appetizers off the menu, if you’re an octopus lover, is the Polpo Grigliato. It is to die for! And you can’t go wrong with any of the pizza or pasta dishes. For your special event, the restaurant can supply a set menu for you or can customize a menu to fit your specific needs. And, you can tell your guests not to worry about dietary restrictions because Fiamma will accommodate for food allergies. As for dessert, you do have an option to bring your own dessert if you like, but I’m confident you’ll love what the restaurant can offer.
There are different dining areas as well, depending on the number of guests you are looking for at your engagement party. The main dining area accommodates 85 guests, there’s a private room available if you prefer a smaller room for 26 guests. And, if you truly want a very small space, you can also book the VIP room that accommodates 10 guests. The venue is closed on Sundays for private special occasions, with events starting in the afternoon. You can also bring your own decorations if you’re planning on having a theme for your party. The ambiance is great, very classy and modern with a warm and inviting feel.
If you haven’t had a chance to visit yet, go for dinner with your friends or family and see for yourself. You won’t be disappointed!
- Posted in : Engagement
The father-daughter dance is a time-honoured tradition, one that is an essential part of the wedding reception. I always found this dance to be a very special one for any wedding I’ve attended. It represents a woman leaving her father’s home and starting a new home with her husband. Finding the right song for the father-daughter dance might take a little time – but not to worry, you will find something amazing for your special day. There are definitely more options for the first dance as bride and groom. When you think about choosing a song for the father-daughter dance, you’ll need to consider what kind of song you’d like for the occasion. Are you looking for something upbeat or would you prefer a slower song that’s more sentimental? If you go the sentimental route, you’ll want to make sure your song provides the right sentiment without it sounding sexual. Would you want something a bit more modern or do you think a classic song might be best for your wedding? Here are a few of my favourites, a mix of classics and some modern songs as well:
- Stevie Wonder – Isn’t she lovely
- Natalie Grant – Always be your baby
- Luther Vandross – Dance with my Father
- Chrisette Michele – Your Joy
- Adele – Make you feel my love
- James Morrison – Until the Stars Go Out
- Whitney Houston – You’ll never stand alone
- Christina Aguilera – I turn to You
- Phil Collins – You’ll be in my heart
- Frank Sinatra – The way you look tonight
- Lee Ann Womack – I hope you dance
- Celine Dion – These are the special times
- Whitney Houston – Count on me
- Dean Martin – I wish you love
- Rascal Flatts – My Wish
What are some of your favourite dance-worthy slow songs? What are you thinking of choosing for your special father-daughter dance at your wedding? Let us know!
- Posted in : Wedding Music
It’s party time ladies! A bachelorette party is an essential part of the wedding preparations, especially for the friends of the bride. Having been to several bachelorette parties over the years, I can tell you that there are two elements that are essential to a great night out – good friends and some fun activities. Traditional parties I’ve attended have included an element of food and dancing, but there are other options you can consider if you’re looking to jazz up your evening and do something different:
- Weekend spa getaway: Relax with your ladies at a weekend spa getaway – it’s just what you need to escape the stresses of the week. Massage, mani-pedi, facials, sauna, and delicious meals. It’s hard to compete with this, right?
- Cooking party: Cooking with friends is always a fun option. There are studios, like Dish Cooking Studio, that offer cooking classes for special events. You’ll get to learn some new culinary techniques and have some fantastic food, prepared by you and your friends.
- Mystery dinner event: Who doesn’t like a little mystery in their lives? Instead of just having dinner with your friends or watching a show, you can attend a murder mystery dinner party like Mysteriously Yours, where you not only have a great meal with your friends, but you participate in the show by helping solve the mystery. The bride-to-be can also be included in the ruse if you let them know ahead of time.
- Karaoke bus: This is for all you singers out there! Travel in style by ordering a party karaoke limo bus with a great sound system and a dance floor. You can sing your heart out and show your crazy dance moves all at the same time.
- Cabin in the woods: A private escape with your gals at a quaint cabin in the woods might be just what you need if you want something a bit more low-key. You can always buy some fun games from Party City, like “how well do you know your bachelorette” or “Dare to do it bachelorette” to add some entertainment.
- Circus madness: If you and your friends are more on the adventure-seeking side, you can attend the Toronto Circus School for your bachelorette party. There are different packages you can choose from to get you in the circus spirit, including juggling, acrobatics, flying trapeze, and the hoop.
- Foodie tour: If you like to try different restaurants/food that you might not have known existed, you can always go on a Foodie On Foot Tour with your ladies. There are different tours you can choose from, but most importantly you can learn about the hidden gems in Toronto, eat some great food and go on a walking tour of the city.
- Trivia night at a bar: Get in touch with your competitive side by teaming up with your ladies for a trivia game night at a local bar/pub. Check out Junction Craft Trivia, Brass Facts, Headscratchers Trivia to name a few.
- Paint Nite: Get in touch with your artistic side by participating in a Paint Nite. These events are set up in local pubs, trendy bars, and restaurants around the city. You can order food and drinks while you get in touch with your creative side.
Whatever plans you make, it’s sure to be a great evening! What other options have you considered for a bachelorette party?
- Posted in : Bachelorette
Dessert is a big part of any wedding. There’s a lot of different options you could include, especially to a sweet table, or in addition to a sweet table. Here are some of my top choices!
Gelato bar: There’s nothing like a cool scoop of delicious gelato after you’ve broken a sweat on the dance floor to make your night! It’s the perfect treat at a wedding reception, whether it’s an addition to your sweet table or just on its own – after all, who doesn’t love gelato? One of my very favourites is Love Gelato. They absolutely do gelato right! They have some delicious flavours (and I’m speaking from experience here) and can provide you either a traditional gelato cart at your wedding or display all the yumminess in a beautiful customized ice sculpture.
Cotton Candy: A sticky treat, but so, so sweet! Another unique option you could offer at your wedding – it’s definitely a fun alternative for your guests. You could set up a cotton candy station at your wedding reception or have a cart on-site with a cotton candy guru making the delicious treats on the spot! Alternatively, you could provide mini cotton candy bags to your guests as a parting gift. Check out Bucket & Whisk or Candy Floss Land for some options.
Candy Station: Candy Floss Land can provide you some amazing options for special candy stations at your wedding. The type of candy will depend on you, so have some fun with it! Choose colourful options to jazz things up or select your candy based on your specific theme. Some of my favourite treats from Sugarfina include princess pearls, maple bourbon caramels, champagne bears and tequila grapefruit sours. Make sure each of your candy options are properly labelled and that a scoop is available for each bowl of candy. You don’t want your guests to reach in with their bare hands to grab their treats. You can also include little take-home containers for guests who don’t feel like sugaring up at the wedding but would like a treat later on in the evening. Last, but not least, be conscious of allergies!
Gourmet Popcorn: Although the sweet treats are always welcome, you may prefer a little savoury at your wedding and gourmet popcorn is sure to do the trick! There’s so many amazing flavours at Toronto Popcorn Company salted caramel, blueberry, vanilla cream, jalapeno cheddar, salt and vinegar, garlic Parmesan, to name a few, or you could go fancier with cookies and cream popcorn, sea salt and maple, or cinnamon caramel.
Mini Donuts – For donut lovers everywhere, these bite-sized guilty pleasures will add a little zing to the sweet table. If you’re on the hunt for some delicious donuts, check out The Rolling Pin. They have so many different flavours: Hot Chocolate, Crème Brûlée, Nutella Bomb, and Tiramisu, just to name a few, and they’re able to do special orders for the minis.
Gourmet cookie or pastry table – Cookie lovers and pastry buffs everywhere will love this option. Whether it’s a beautiful, colourful Macaron tower, a P’tit chou tower or a selection of miniature cakes, this display of delectable treats will satisfy any guest at your wedding. Nadège has some great options for you to consider, if this is something you’re looking for at your reception.
With all these different sweet treats available, how can you go wrong?